Friday, June 14, 2013

The Pompatus of Love

Some people, call me the space cowboy. Yeah! Some, call me the gangster of love. Some people, call me Maurice! *Whit woo!* Cause' I speak of the pompatus of love. Now I do have a couple of problems with this otherwise fine song from 1973.

Firstly, 'Maurice'? Was Maurice a particularly sexy sounding name in 1973? I really have no idea, but I should imagine it probably wasn't, so why even mention it? Let alone follow it with a wolf whistle on the guitar? Surely there were sexier sounding names to choose from, like 'Burt' or 'Guy' or 'Leif'. Unless it was meant as a sarcastic wolf whistle of course?

Anyway secondly and most importantly, what in the name of arse is a "pompatus" and how can you have one of love? Also, if you do speak about one of love, why does that mean you get called Maurice!? *Whit Woo!* (Stop it!) A 'pompatus' sounds like it should be a medium or large sized river dwelling mammal of some description. Don't get me wrong, it does sound like a lovely whiskery faced, waffly nosed creature, just sadly one that does not exist!

Now of course, I thought maybe I have misheard these lyrics all these years. Entirely possible of course. I mean who can forget such classics from the Village People as "We want you, we want you, we want you as an ooreegoo" So yes I admit it can happen. I thought maybe he was singing "the properties of love". So I looked it up. According to 'Lyrics Freak' he says "pompetous" where as according to 'az lyrics' and 'sing365.com' it's "pompitous". In any case it still doesn't make any sense what-so-ever! Apparently there was even an entire film made about this subject in 1996 called "The Pompatus of Love" where basically four men discuss women and the meaning of the word "pompatus".

I suppose it will just have to remain one of those mysteries that we never really get to the bottom of. Like UFOs and Bigfoot. Although I do have my theories about them as well. Although that will have to wait for another day.

Still, as Mr Manilow quite succinctly sang "Looks like we made it". Yes it is Friday, we have made it to the wagging tail of the week. Where joy should have no limits and frivolity should take over and cover us like a warm bath with many bubbles. So kick off your worries, let down your metaphorical hair and shake it like you just don't care. Huzzah for Friday! I'll see you folks early morningtide the other side of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment